Ultimate Introduction to Photography Workshop£125.00
Why We Love It
- Capture sunset and night photos of St Pauls
- Learn to take control of your camera
- capture the images you have in your mind’s eye
- Learn with like-minded people in small group sizes
This ultimate introduction to photography, London is the perfect workshop for you. If you love taking photos and want to understand how to take complete control of your camera to achieve the photos in your mind’s eye, then look no further. This introduction photography workshop – lead by professional travel and landscape photographer Matthew Williams-Ellis, will teach you all you need to know!
During the 5.5 hour workshop you will learn the fundamentals of photography through ‘in the field’ tutorials, allowing you to practise and experiment with newly learned techniques while photographing some of London’s most iconic locations.
At the same time as learning the technical side of photography, we will talk a lot about the thought process of creating (not just taking) photos. Matthew will offer tips on composition, guide your photographic eye and help you develop a proactive photography mindset, ensuring you can apply your new found skills to any given situation when photographing in the future.
- Part one: Head to The London Eye, Leake Street Graffiti Tunnels and South Bank area, where we will cover the basics of ISO, aperture, shutter speed, shooting modes and focusing. Once you are comfortable with this, we will start to experiment with slow shutter speeds while photographing interesting subjects such as the Thames, markets, buskers and South Bank’s iconic skate park.
- Part two: After a break to refuel, we will discuss photographic storytelling and compositional ideas. The day unfortunately has to come to an end, with a sunset and blue hour/night shoot overlooking the Thames at somewhere such as Millennium Bridge, ensuring you return home with a variety of images to be proud of. Please note: No two days are exactly the same, as photography is all about the light. Some subjects suit cloudy days and others suit sunny days. We will shoot wherever the conditions are best!
- Matthew Williams-Ellis is a professional travel and landscape photographer who has been awarded in Travel Photographer of the Year. He carries out commissions for the travel industry, leads photography holidays and workshops and runs a youtube channel called Photo Escapes.
- ISO, aperture and shutter speed
- Shooting in manual mode and aperture priority mode
- Experiment with panning in shutter speed priority mode
- Histogram and the importance of exposing to the right
- Try out tips and tricks for eye-catching compositions
- The importance of light and shooting at the best time of day
- Conveying stories in your photographs
- Focus modes and capturing sharp photos
- Selecting the most appropriate equipment (although it is not about what equipment you have, it is how you use it!)
Matthew Williams-Ellis is a professional travel and landscape photographer who has been awarded in Travel Photographer of the Year. He carries out commissions for the travel industry, leads photography holidays and workshops and runs a Youtube channel called Photo Escapes
- Group workshops on scheduled dates throughout the year
- Group workshop maximum size is 8 people
- Group workshop minimum age 18
- Private workshops are weekdays only subject to availability
- Workshop length 5.5 hours
- Lunch not included
- Experience must be pre booked
Address: South Bank, London