Treasures of Edinburgh Old Town TourFrom £16.00
14 day Refund guarantee
Voucher valid for 1 year
24 HR Support
Why We Love It
- Journey through the ancient, picturesque burgh of the Canongate
- Explore Holyrood Palace
- Hear tales of past residents including Mary, Queen of Scots
Treasures of the Old Town Tour including entry to The Palace of Holyrood House
Explore the hidden treasures of the Royal Mile – and let your expert guide unlock the history of this ancient seat of power. Discover the lesser known history of the Canongate, and the glorious Palace of Holyroodhouse.
Uncover a path to the palace that escapes the notice of history books and bus tours. As you walk down the quiet closes of the Royal Mile your expert tour guide will show you a different side of the city – in rich, engaging detail.
Here, rebellious Jacobites clattered over the cobbles, led by a proud Bonnie Prince Charlie. You’ll ‘meet’ the sickly poet, Robert Fergusson, the inspiration to renowned Robert Burns and forever immortalised on the street. In the hands of your gifted storyteller on this walking tour, you’ll find that romance and intrigue are everywhere – in the architecture, literature, crime and politics, on the very doorstep of the Queen’s Palace.
Your chance to explore the Palace of Holyroodhouse.
After the Canongate, your guide will introduce the glorious Palace of Holyroodhouse – which you’ll explore in your own time. You’ll find 14 magnificent state apartments, as well as the romantic ruins of the 12th century Holyrood Abbey. The palace was the setting for many dramatic episodes in the short reign of Mary, Queen of Scots – and Her Majesty The Queen still makes use of the State Apartments for royal ceremonies.
This walking tour takes place on Saturdays and Sundays at 10am. The duration of this tour is 1 hour 45 minutes.
Mercat was founded by a history teacher, but you can forget the classroom. At the centre of everything we do is the art of a good story well told.
History is a damn good story. What it needs is a damn good telling.
We choose our guides for their enthusiasm and skill – and we never ask them to read from a script. Each one brings their own energy to the story, whether they’re telling you about Adam Smith, the father of economics – or the city’s rioters, rebels, torturers and murderers.
The stories are all true – and you won’t find any artificial ‘jump scares’ or tricks on our tours. With Mercat, we’ll take you deeper into the past than a bus tour or guidebook ever could. In the hands of our guides, we bring the city’s stories alive in rich, engaging detail. Whether you choose one of our history or ghost tours, you’ll see a side to Scotland’s capital that most visitors miss.
We limit our group sizes to an absolute maximum 30 people – so you can always hear the guide, and you’re always involved. It’s one of the reasons our guide’s get such consistently good feedback – and why we’ve won so many awards.
- The first 5-star walking tour company.
- 91% on VisitScotland
- Voted one of Scotland’s top 11 attractions
It’s fair to say we know our stuff. We’re right at the centre of the Old Town’s restaurants, shops, hotels and bars – so a Mercat tour is the perfect way to explore another side of the city.
We run tours every day, in all weathers and we have guaranteed departures.
Let’s put it another way: when you book onto a Mercat tour, you’re going on a Mercat tour. No last minute cancellations. No minimum quotas.
- Excludes transport, food and drink
- Children under 5, buggy`s and strollers are not permitted
- All persons under the age of 16 must be accompanied by an adult
- No minimum number of participants in order for this tour to run
- Tickets are limited. Book in advance to guarantee your place on your tour
- LGE voucher must be presented upon check-in and will be exchanged for your tour tickets. Failure to produce your LGE voucher may result in non-admission
- Any persons suspected to be under the influence of alcohol or illegal substances will be refused participation
- The meeting point for this tour is the Mercat Cross on The Royal Mile, EH1 1RF. Please arrive here 15 minutes before the start of your tour and check-in with a member of our on-street Visitor Services Team.
Tours are not available on 13th November and 7th, 24th, 25th, 26th December
Address: Mercat Cross on The Royal Mile, EH1 1RF