Edinburgh Old Town Walking Whisky Tour & Tasting£30.00
14 day Refund guarantee
Voucher valid for 1 year
24 HR Support
Why We Love It
- Hear of Scotland’s past & the changing role of Scottish whisky
- Relish fine malt whiskies
- Learn more about Scotland's finest 'water of life'
Edinburgh Old Town Walking Whisky Tour & Tasting – 2 Hours
Walking the Old Town of Edinburgh you’ll see the city that founded the world’s largest Scottish whisky company, learn about the people that helped whisky production and then retire to Megget’s cellar for a complimentary candlelit single malt whisky tasting from four whisky producing regions.
- Edinburgh’s role in taking whisky to the rest of the world
- How the 19th century changed whisky production in Scotland
- The locals that embraced whisky, from George Ballantine on South Bridge to Andrew Usher Jr at Nicolson Street
- The pioneers that created their own whiskies and exported worldwide.
The award winning expert will cover everything you need to know about the water of life; from how whisky is made to the effects that different elements such as water, barley, peat and the cask have on the production process. Nose and taste your way through the whisky regions, with sample whiskies from Speyside, Highland, Islay and Lowland distilleries. Consider this your first step to becoming a whisky connoisseur!
- Two hour tour
- History of whisky
- Whisky tasting in candlelit Megget’s Cellar
- Taste four Scottish whiskies, under the guidance of our whisky specialist
- Saturdays and Sundays at 4pm
The award winning Mercat was founded by a history teacher, and at the centre of everything they do is the art of a good story well told.
The guides tell the story with enthusiasm and skill – Each guide brings their own energy to the story, whether they’re telling you about Adam Smith, the father of economics – or the city’s rioters, rebels, torturers and murderers.
The stories are all true – and you won’t find any artificial ‘jump scares’ or tricks on our tours. Mercat, will take you deeper into the past as they bring the city’s stories alive in rich, engaging detail, seeing a side to Scotland’s capital that would otherwise be missed.
The group sizes are limited to an absolute maximum 30 people, then you will always hear the guide and be involved. The award winning Mercat Tours and their guides receive outstanding reviews.
- The first 5-star walking tour company.
- 91% on VisitScotland
- Voted one of Scotland’s top 11 attractions
Based at the centre of the Old Town’s restaurants, shops, hotels and bars, making the Mercat tour, perfect way to explore another side of the city.
Tours run daily in all weathers and guaranteed departures.
- All weather tours
- No last minute cancellations
- No minimum quotas.
- Excludes transport and food
- 18+ only
- No minimum number of participants in order for this tour to run
- Tickets are limited. Book in advance to guarantee your place on your tour
- LGE voucher must be presented upon check-in and will be exchanged for your tour tickets. Failure to produce your LGE voucher may result in non-admission
- Any persons suspected to be under the influence of alcohol or illegal substances will be refused participation
- The meeting point for this tour is the Mercat Cross on The Royal Mile, EH1 1RF. Please arrive here 15 minutes before the start of your tour and check-in with a member of our on-street Visitor Services Team.
Tours are not available on 13th November and 7th, 24th, 25th, 26th December
Address: Mercat Cross on The Royal Mile, EH1 1RF