Treasures of the Old Town Tour, Edinburgh is One hour 45 minutes, includes entry to The Palace of Holyrood House. Explore the hidden treasures of the Royal Mile and discover the lesser known history of the Canongate, and the glorious Palace of Holyroodhouse.
Uncover a path to the palace that escapes the notice of history books and bus tours. As you walk down the quiet closes of the Royal Mile your guide will show you a different side of the city as he shares with you history of this ancient seat of power. You'll 'meet' the sickly poet, Robert Fergusson, the inspiration to renowned Robert Burns and forever immortalised on the street
After the Canongate, you'll go to Palace of Holyroodhouse and explore in your own time, the 14 magnificent state apartments and the romantic ruins of the 12th century Holyrood Abbey.
Treasures of Edinburgh Old Town Tours includes:
- Tour lasts 1 hour 45 minutes (weekends 10am)
- Entry to Palace of Holyroodhouse (explore in your own time)
- Access to the hidden treasures of the Royal Mile
- Meet some of the historic characters
- Explore the city's architecture
- Ruins of the 12th century Holyrood Abbey
Expert Storytellers Mercat was founded by a history teacher, but you can forget the classroom. At the centre of everything they do is the art of a good story well told. History is a damn good story. What it needs is a damn good telling.
The guides are enthusiastic and skilful and each one brings their own energy to the story, whether they’re telling you about Adam Smith, the father of economics – or the city’s rioters, rebels, torturers and murderers.
The stories are all true – and you won’t find any artificial ‘jump scares’ or tricks on the tours. With Mercat, they’ll take you deeper into the past than a bus tour or guidebook ever could. In the hands of our guides, we bring the city’s stories alive in rich, engaging detail. Whether you choose one of their history or ghost tours, you’ll see a side to Scotland’s capital that most visitors miss.
Small Groups They limit group sizes to an absolute maximum 30 people – so you can always hear the guide, and you’re always involved. It’s one of the reasons our guide’s get such consistently good feedback – and why they’ve won so many awards.
- The first 5-star walking tour company.
- 91% on VisitScotland
- Voted one of Scotland's top 11 attractions
It’s fair to say Mercat know our stuff, right at the centre of the Old Town’s restaurants, shops, hotels and bars – so a Mercat tour is the perfect way to explore another side of the city.
Daily Tours Tours run every day, in all weathers and we have guaranteed departures.
When you book onto a Mercat tour, you’re going on a Mercat tour. No last minute cancellations. No minimum quotas.
- Children under 5, buggy`s and strollers are not permitted
- All persons under the age of 16 must be accompanied by an adult
- No minimum number for this tour to run
- Tickets are limited. Book in advance to guarantee your place
- LGE voucher must be presented upon check-in and will be exchanged for your tour tickets. Failure to produce your LGE voucher may result in non-admission
- Any persons suspected to be under the influence of alcohol or illegal substances will be refused participation
- The meeting point for this tour is the Mercat Cross on The Royal Mile, EH1 1RF.
- Please arrive 15 minutes before the start of your tour and check-in
- Tours are not available on 13th November and 7th, 24th, 25th, 26th December