The one-day knife making course, at a blacksmiths, set in beautiful rural countryside in South Herefordshire and led by the expert team of craftsmen, who will guide and support you through each process of the design and forging of your own unique knife/s. The day runs for approximately 7 hours and is not for the faint hearted! Blacksmithing has been around for centuries, and it continues to forge on into the future as people carry on the long held traditions of this craft.
Examples of the knives you can design and forge:
Kitchen knife | Hunting knife | Bush craft knife | Reenactment knife | Fishing knife | Woodwork tool
Knife Making Experience - 6 Hours
- Arrive 8:45 for 9am start
- Introduction and safety briefing
- Blacksmithing techniques before teaching you how to forge a knife – which, when finished, would be suitable to be either used (with care) or displayed (with pride).
- One of the experts oversees your work and guide you through the process of hand forging and polishing your knife
- Take home your bespoke masterpiece
You will make and design a piece of bespoke ironmongery, from the master craftsman who will show you some of their techniques and guide you through the four main stages of the blacksmithing process: Heating, Holding, Hitting and Shaping, which goes into the forging of your masterpiece.
Lunch - To be paid at time of booking.
Enjoy lunch in either the Scandinavian Lodge or Shepherd’s Hut, please confirm at time of booking if you would like lunch included.
Knife making courses are at weekends all year round, watch as your knife emerges from an initial chunk of steel into a final heat-treated, handled and finished blade. This is a fantastic 6 hours of fun, taught in a relaxed and friendly environment, where you will be made to sweat but will leave at the end of the day with a blade that you will cherish forever - along with a special story to be told.
Discover the fundamentals of knife-making and learn the traditional techniques involved. Whilst your blade is annealing you can enjoy lunch either in the open air in our picnic area or, if you prefer, take advantage of our Scandinavian lodge or Shepherds hut. This is very much a “hands-on” day that will enable you to craft your very own blade.
- 9:00am - 4pm; Monday to Saturday, excluding bank holidays (subject to availability).
- Wear: Loose fitting cotton material is preferred.
- Ensure you cover your arms to protect them from radiated heat & sparks.
- Strictly no vests or short sleeved tops where skin is exposed No loose cuffs or torn clothing, as these can act as a snagging hazard.Shorts or skirts are also not permitted.
- Leather aprons are provided
- Lunch not included
LocationAddress: Oldfield ForgeGarway Hill Hereford HR2 8HA
Luxury Gift Experience Recommends
From £250.00More Info
From £265.00More Info
From £80.00More Info