Forging Fun Experience - 3 Hours
- Introduction and safety briefing
- Learn a range of techniques
- One of the experts oversees your work and guide you through the process of hand forging
- Take home your bespoke masterpiece
- Forging a taper with a good old-fashioned hammer and anvil.
- Drawing out metal to a point, often used in handles, pokers, candle sticks and the Viking knife.
- Rounding, taking square steel and forging the corners in.
- Scrolling, which is a beautiful example of how fine and delicate blacksmithing can be. Rolling the end of a piece of steel, that is usually tapered for a decorative finish. This technique is versatile and is employed on a wide range of items such as the snail, hanging basket bracket and Viking knife!
- Twisting, another decorative technique to give your work flair. This involves heating the steel and twisting it around.
- Texturing, which is used to refine your work and make it really stand out. You will use texturing tools to planish the surface of your work to make it truly unique. This is often used on the candle sticks and boot scraper.
Examples of the knives you can design and forge: Kitchen knife | Hunting knife | Bush craft knife | Reenactment knife | Fishing knife | Woodwork tool
Lunch - To be paid at time of booking.
Enjoy lunch in either the Scandinavian Lodge or Shepherd’s Hut, please confirm at time of booking if you would like lunch included.
Knife making courses are at weekends all year round, watch as your knife emerges from an initial chunk of steel into a final heat-treated, handled and finished blade. This is a fantastic 6 hours of fun, taught in a relaxed and friendly environment, where you will be made to sweat but will leave at the end of the day with a blade that you will cherish forever - along with a special story to be told.
Discover the fundamentals of knife-making and learn the traditional techniques involved. Whilst your blade is annealing you can enjoy lunch either in the open air in our picnic area or, if you prefer, take advantage of our Scandinavian lodge or Shepherds hut. This is very much a “hands-on” day that will enable you to craft your very own blade.
- 9:00am - 4pm; Monday to Saturday, excluding bank holidays (subject to availability).
- Wear: Loose fitting cotton material is preferred.
- Ensure you cover your arms to protect them from radiated heat & sparks.
- Strictly no vests or short sleeved tops where skin is exposed No loose cuffs or torn clothing, as these can act as a snagging hazard.Shorts or skirts are also not permitted.
- Leather aprons are provided
- Lunch not included
Luxury Gift Experience Recommends
From £250.00More Info
From £160.00More Info
From £235.00More Info