This One hour fifteen minute Underground Tour in Edinburgh, gives you exclusive access to the Blair Street Underground Vaults – the largest system of underground caverns in Edinburgh, the vaults were built in the 18th century beneath South Bridge of the city.
Beneath the bustle of Edinburgh’s Old Town you’ll discover a dark, damp world unchanged since the 18th century. Your expert guide will lead you deep into the Blair Street Underground Vaults, and together you’ll explore their history – including how they became home to the city’s most destitute inhabitants and those who were left behind in its darker corners. Your historic underground walking tour will end in the Discovery Room complete with 3D model and artefacts.
- Tours last 1 hour 15 minutes
- Exclusive access to the city’s oldest, deepest vaults
- Discover secrets & stories of Edinburgh’s underworld
- Enjoy a personal tour in a small group
- See and touch 19th century artefacts
- Visit Mercat Tour's Discovery Room with 3D model & display
Daily: 12:00 14:00 16:00
The Edinburgh outlander experience, traces the real events that inspired Diana Gabaldon’s acclaimed novels, this walking tour captures the spirit of the Jacobite rebellion in Edinburgh 1745. The Jacobite rising has reached the city gates and Bonnie Prince Charlie is met by the cheering crowd.
Amid the chaos, you find Claire and Jamie, their characters entwined in a story that spans centuries. Expert storytellers Mercat was founded by a history teacher, but you can forget the classroom. At the centre of everything we do is the art of a good story well told. History is a damn good story. What it needs is a damn good telling.
Mercat choose their guides for their enthusiasm and skill – and they do not read from a script. Each guide brings their own energy to the story, whether they’re telling you about Adam Smith, the father of economics – or the city’s rioters, rebels, torturers and murderers.
The stories are all true – and you won’t find any artificial ‘jump scares’ or tricks on our tours. With Mercat, they'll take you deeper into the past than a bus tour or guidebook ever could. In the hands of their guides, they bring the city’s stories alive in rich, engaging detail. Whether you choose one of their history or ghost tours, you’ll see a side to Scotland’s capital that most visitors miss.
Small Groups Mercat limit the group sizes to an absolute maximum 30 people – so you can always hear the guide, and you’re always involved. It’s one of the reasons their guide’s get such consistently good feedback – and why they’ve won so many awards.
- The first 5-star walking tour company.
- 91% on VisitScotland
- Voted one of Scotland's top 11 attractions
It’s fair to say Mercat tours know their stuff. Located right at the centre of the Old Town’s restaurants, shops, hotels and bars – Mercat tour is the perfect way to explore another side of the city.
Daily Tours Mercat run tours every day, in all weathers and have guaranteed departures. When you book onto a Mercat tour, you’re going on a Mercat tour. No last minute cancellations. No minimum quotas.
- The meeting point for this tour is the Mercat Cross on The Royal Mile, EH1 1RF.
- Please arrive here 15 minutes before the start of your tour and check-in
- Tickets are limited. Book in advance to guarantee your place on your tour
- LGE redemption voucher must be presented upon check-in and will be exchanged for your tour tickets.
- Any persons suspected to be under the influence of alcohol or illegal substances will be refused participation
- COVID restrictions may apply, please check at time of booking
- Voucher non refundable