The Old Field Forge blacksmith, is set in beautiful rural countryside in South Herefordshire, this axe making course is a great fun way to spend time with friends and family. You will make and design a piece of bespoke ironmongery, from the master craftsman who will show you some of their techniques and guide you through the four main stages of the blacksmithing process: Heating, Holding, Hitting and Shaping, which goes into the forging of your masterpiece.
The one day axe making course, is led by an expert team of blacksmiths and runs for approximately 7 hours.
Axe Making Experience - 7 Hours
- Arrive 8:45am for 9am start
- Introduction and safety briefing
- Allocated workstation and demonstration of tools
- Learn the art of shaping iron into beautiful, bespoke pieces
- Taught how to forge a blade head
- Take home your bespoke masterpiece
Enjoy lunch in either the Scandinavian Lodge or Shepherd’s Hut, please confirm at time of booking if you would like lunch.
The Old Field Forge blacksmith, is set in beautiful rural countryside in South Herefordshire. The one day axe making course, is led by the expert team of blacksmiths, who will guide and support you through each process of the design and forging of your own unique axe head. The day runs for approximately 7 hours and is not for the faint hearted! Blacksmithing has been around for centuries, and it continues to forge on into the future as people carry on the long held traditions of this craft.
You will get the chance to design and forge a unique hand axe! Find out how tremendously satisfying it is to plunge a lump of stock steel into the flames and let the sparks fly under your hammer, as you craft your axe. You will be guided you through the different stages involved in making a beautiful and functional, keen-edged tool that you will take away with you at the end of the course. If time permits you can fit your own handle.
Examples of the type of axe head you can make:
- Hatchet | Dane | Bearded | Re-enactment | Adze etc. (available in either one or two-handed versions).
If you have a specific design of head in mind please let us know at the time of booking and we will confirm whether it can be achieved within the time frame.
- Sessions: 9:00am - 4pm
- Availability: Monday to Saturday, excluding bank holidays (subject to availability).
- What to Wear Loose fitting cotton material is preferred. Ensure you cover your arms to protect them from radiated heat & sparks. Strictly no vests or short sleeved tops where skin is exposed No loose cuffs or torn clothing, as these can act as a snagging hazard. Shorts or skirts are also not permitted