2 Hour Ghosts & Ghouls TourThis product has a 5 Star Rating
- An informed look at Edinburgh’s ghostly past
- Explore the Blair Street Underground Vaults
- Recover with a dram of Dewar’s Scotch Whisky
- Over 5 years
- COVID restrictions may apply
2 Hour Ghosts & Ghouls Tour Edinburgh. The night begins with a walking tour of the darker closes and wynds of Edinburgh, before journeying into the haunted Blair Street Underground Vaults. To end the tour we’ll retire to a candlelit cellar for a dram of Scottish whisky and an evening of storytelling.
The air filled with cries and taunts, and a crowd of thousands, baying for the blood of two men. Take your place as a member of the ‘Edinburgh mob’, which once surged in riot past the Mercat Cross. Hear grisly tales of witchcraft, torture and restless spirits as you venture down medieval closes and descend into the haunted Blair Street Underground Vaults. Your cloaked guide will lead you through the dimly lit caverns, filling the night with stories – all of them true.
Stories of blood, guts, and gore. And a whisky to warm the heart. As night thickens, we’ll gather in Megget’s cellar for a whisky – or a glass of lager or soft drink if you’re not fond of a dram. In the warmth of candlelight, your storyteller will conjure more tales of Edinburgh’s ghoulish past, and the tortured souls that stalk the city’s streets.
This tour takes place on Friday's and Saturdays at 7.15pm
Expert Storytellers Mercat was founded by a history teacher, but you can forget the classroom. At the centre of everything we do is the art of a good story well told.
History is a damn good story. What it needs is a damn good telling.
We choose our guides for their enthusiasm and skill – and we never ask them to read from a script. Each one brings their own energy to the story, whether they’re telling you about Adam Smith, (the father of economics), or the city’s rioters, rebels, torturers and murderers.
The stories are all true – and you won’t find any artificial ‘jump scares’ or tricks on our tours. With Mercat, we’ll take you deeper into the past than a bus tour or guidebook ever could. In the hands of our guides, we bring the city’s stories alive in rich, engaging detail. Whether you choose one of our history or ghost tours, you’ll see a side to Scotland’s capital that most visitors miss.
Small Groups We limit our group sizes to an absolute maximum 30 people – so you can always hear the guide, and you’re always involved. It’s one of the reasons our guide’s get such consistently good feedback – and why we’ve won so many awards.
- The first 5-star walking tour company.
- 91% on VisitScotland
- Voted one of Scotland's top 11 attractions
It’s fair to say we know our stuff. We’re right at the centre of the Old Town’s restaurants, shops, hotels and bars – so a Mercat tour is the perfect way to explore another side of the city.
Daily Tours We run tours every day, in all weathers and we have guaranteed departures.
Let’s put it another way: when you book onto a Mercat tour, you’re going on a Mercat tour. No last minute cancellations. No minimum quotas.
- Children under 5, buggy`s and strollers are not permitted
- All persons under the age of 16 must be accompanied by an adult
- No minimum number of participants
- Tickets are limited. Book in advance to guarantee your place
- LGE voucher must be presented upon check-in and will be exchanged for your tour tickets. Failure to produce your LGE voucher may result in non-admission
- Any persons suspected to be under the influence of alcohol or illegal substances will be refused participation
- The meeting point for this tour is the Mercat Cross on The Royal Mile, EH1 1RF.
- Please arrive here 15 minutes before the start of your tour and check-in
- Tours are not available on 13th November and 7th, 24th, 25th, 26th December
LocationAddress: 28 Blair Street, Edinburgh, EH1 1QR
Luxury Gift Experience Recommends
From £35.00More Info
From £5.00More Info