Historic Underground Tour in EdinburghFrom £9.00
14 day Refund guarantee
Voucher valid for 1 year
24 HR Support
Why We Love It
- Discover Edinburgh's gory history
- Access to areas no other tour company has
- 'Meet' Edinburgh's most famous figures
This One hour fifteen minute Mercat Historic Underground Tour in Edinburgh, gives you exclusive access to the Blair Street Underground Vaults – the largest system of underground caverns in Edinburgh, the vaults were built in the 18th century beneath South Bridge of the city.
Beneath the bustle of Edinburgh’s Old Town you’ll discover a dark, damp world unchanged since the 18th century. Your expert guide will lead you deep into the Blair Street Underground Vaults, and together you’ll explore their history – including how they became home to the city’s most destitute inhabitants.
It’s a story rooted in Edinburgh’s Georgian past – grand feats of engineering, the expansion of the city, and those who were left behind in its darker corners. Your historic underground walking tour will end in our Discovery Room complete with 3D model and artefacts.
- Tours last 1 hour 15 minutes
- Exclusive access to the city’s oldest, deepest vaults
- Discover secrets & stories of Edinburgh’s underworld
- Enjoy a personal tour in a small group
- See and touch 19th century artefacts
- Visit Mercat Tour’s Discovery Room with 3D model & display
Daily: 12:00 14:00 16:00
- Start point: Mercat Cross, High Street
- End point: Blair Street Underground Vaults, Blair Street, off Hunter’s Square
Mercat was founded by a history teacher, but you can forget the classroom. At the centre of everything we do is the art of a good story well told.
History is a damn good story. What it needs is a damn good telling.
Mercat choose their guides for their enthusiasm and skill – and they never ask them to read from a script. Each guide brings their own energy to the story, whether they’re telling you about Adam Smith, the father of economics – or the city’s rioters, rebels, torturers and murderers.
The stories are all true – and you won’t find any artificial ‘jump scares’ or tricks on Mercat tours. With Mercat, they’ll take you deeper into the past than a bus tour or guidebook ever could. In the hands of the guides, they bring the city’s stories alive in rich, engaging detail. Whether you choose one of Mercat history or ghost tours, you’ll see a side to Scotland’s capital that most visitors miss.
Mercat limit the group sizes to an absolute maximum 30 people – so you can always hear the guide, and you’re always involved. It’s one of the reasons their guide’s get such consistently good feedback – and why they’ve won so many awards.
- The first 5-star walking tour company.
- 91% on VisitScotland
- Voted one of Scotland’s top 11 attractions
It’s fair to say Mercat know their stuff. Located right at the centre of the Old Town’s restaurants, shops, hotels and bars – Mercat tour is the perfect way to explore another side of the city.
Tours run every day, in all weathers and we have guaranteed departures. Let’s put it another way: when you book onto a Mercat tour, you’re going on a Mercat tour. No last minute cancellations. No minimum quotas.
- Excludes transport, food and drink
- Tickets are limited. Book in advance to guarantee your place on your tour
- LGE redemption voucher must be presented upon check-in and will be exchanged for your tour tickets.
- Failure to produce your LGE redemption voucher may result in non-admission
- Any persons suspected to be under the influence of alcohol or illegal substances will be refused participation
- The meeting point for this tour is the Mercat Cross on The Royal Mile, EH1 1RF. Please arrive here 15 minutes before the start of your tour and check-in with a member of the Mercat on-street Visitor Services Team.
Address: Mercat Cross on The Royal Mile, EH1 1RF