Half Day Walking Tour of Hadrian's WallFrom £40.00
14 day Refund guarantee
Valid from date of purchase
24 HR Support
Why We Love It
- Discover Hadrian’s Wall in Northumberland
- Learn about the magnificent, ruthless, creative culture
- See some of the best archaeological finds from Hadrian’s wall
Half day walking tour of Hadrian’s Wall, the UNESCO world heritage site is the frontier of the Roman Empire. The frontier extended for 80 roman miles and covers many landscapes.
On the half-day tour, you focus on the fort at the east end of the wall – Segedunum. The fort is home to fantastic reconstructions of the Roman way of life – such as a section of the wall which can be viewed and walked along. You step into the Roman world and learn about this fantastic, ruthless but creative culture that conquered much of the known world. The tour starts at the fort of Segedunum – now called Wallsend.
Home to the mixed cavalry and infantry unit of Belgians and troops from France- the second cohort of Nervians and the fourth cohort of Lingones these troops were stationed to ensure that the frontier was not crossed by the river as much as by attacking the wall. Following this, we will go to the Great North Museum in Newcastle which has one of the largest collections of Roman artefacts in the North of Britain. Your guide will interpret these and give you an insight into Roman life at the Northern frontier of the Empire.
This tour is great for those who love history, wish to discover more about the Romans while being close to an urban area.
- Tour lasts Half Day
- The tour can be booked at 9:30 am or 1 pm.
- Professional, knowledgeable and experienced guide.
- Focus on the fort at the east end of the wall – Segedunum
- Entry to Segedunum Roman Fort and the Great North Museum
- The option of a Costumed guide in authentic roman clothing at the additional cost of £100.00 (payable locally)
Iles Tours know that the best trips live on in the memories that stay with you. That’s why they don’t do ordinary walking tours. Instead, you are taken on a journey into the fascinating stories that have shaped England’s unique history, people and culture for over 2,000 years – and are still unfolding today. You’ll have fun, learn new things and come away with a great story to tell. With walking tours across Newcastle, Durham, Northumberland and Tyneside, Iles Tours show you the North East England as you’ve never seen it before!
- Pre-booking is always required for this experience
- Mobile/cell phone is required to contact you on the day of your tour. This ensures you are kept up to date of changes to meeting point or other information prior to your tour.
- Please contact the vendor about any disabilities your group may have
- Your guide will contact you with a text message prior to the tour to confirm your attendance
Address: Hadrian's Wall, Brampton CA8 7DD