Ghostly Underground Tours in EdinburghFrom £9.00
14 day Refund guarantee
Voucher valid for 1 year
24 HR Support
Why We Love It
- Discover Edinburgh's gory history
- Access to areas no other tour company has
- 'Meet' Edinburgh's most famous figures
This 1 hour 15 minute Mercat Ghost Tour experience in Edinburgh is a daytime walking tour of Edinburgh’s most haunted vaults. This tour is perfect for a peek into the city’s ghostly past because things don’t only go bump in the night.
If you want to see Edinburgh’s haunted vaults – explore them exclusively with Mercat Tours.
The true history of the Blair Street Underground Vaults is terrifying and the skill is in the storytelling: the vaults witnessed the deeds of mischief-makers and murderers, vagrants, and torturers. It’s one of Edinburgh’s most haunted sites, where restless spirits still tread.
First, you’ll follow your cloaked Mercat guide through the shadowy closes of Edinburgh’s Old Town. These are dark streets untouched by daylight, filled with a strange silence, their damp walls carrying only the faintest echo of the crowds on the high street you’ve left behind.
You will then descend into the depths of the city – and listen in horror to its dark and sinister side. Torture… Murder. ..Hangings… From body snatchers to real-life characters of the city, you’ll be gripped by the true tales that lie hidden beneath Edinburgh’s streets.
Watch out for a cold breath on the back of your neck, a whisper, a flicker – then silence. It’s all the more chilling for being absolutely real: there are no tricks or jump scares on this ghost tour!
- Tour lasts 1 hour 15 minutes
- Experience a ghost tour in the safety of the daylight hours
- Exclusive access to Edinburgh’s haunted vaults
- Explore the shadowy closes of Edinburgh’s Old Town
- Explore the famous Blair Street Underground Vaults
- Enjoy a personal ghost tour in a small group
Mercat was founded by a history teacher, but you can forget the classroom. At the centre of everything we do is the art of a good story well told.
History is a damn good story. What it needs is a damn good telling.
We choose our guides for their enthusiasm and skill – and we never ask them to read from a script. Each one brings their own energy to the story, whether they’re telling you about Adam Smith, the father of economics – or the city’s rioters, rebels, torturers and murderers.
The stories are all true – and you won’t find any artificial ‘jump scares’ or tricks on our tours. With Mercat, we’ll take you deeper into the past than a bus tour or guidebook ever could. In the hands of our guides, we bring the city’s stories alive in rich, engaging detail. Whether you choose one of our history or ghost tours, you’ll see a side to Scotland’s capital that most visitors miss.
We limit our group sizes to an absolute maximum 30 people – so you can always hear the guide, and you’re always involved. It’s one of the reasons our guide’s get such consistently good feedback – and why we’ve won so many awards.
- The first 5-star walking tour company.
- 91% on VisitScotland
- Voted one of Scotland’s top 11 attractions
It’s fair to say we know our stuff. We’re right at the centre of the Old Town’s restaurants, shops, hotels and bars – so a Mercat tour is the perfect way to explore another side of the city.
We run tours every day, in all weathers and we have guaranteed departures.
Let’s put it another way: when you book onto a Mercat tour, you’re going on a Mercat tour. No last minute cancellations. No minimum quotas.
- Excludes transport, food and drink
- Tickets are limited. Book in advance to guarantee your place on your tour
- LGE voucher must be presented upon check-in and will be exchanged for your tour tickets. Failure to produce your LGE voucher may result in non-admission
- Any persons suspected to be under the influence of alcohol or illegal substances will be refused participation
- The meeting point for this tour is the Mercat Cross on The Royal Mile, EH1 1RF. Please arrive here 15 minutes before the start of your tour and check-in with a member of our on-street Visitor Services Team.
Dates & times
Daily: 13:00, 15:00, 17:00
- Start point: Mercat Cross, High Street
- End point: Discovery Room, Blair Street, off Hunter’s Square
Address: Mercat Cross on The Royal Mile, EH1 1RF