Full Day Walking Tour of Hadrian's WallFrom £40.00
Why We Love It
- Discover Hadrian’s Wall in Northumberland
- Learn about the magnificent, ruthless, creative culture
- See some of the best archaeological finds from Hadrian’s wall
This full day walking day tour of Hadrian’s Wall, the UNESCO world heritage site is the frontier of the Roman Empire. The frontier extended for 80 roman miles and covers many landscapes and discover the varied lives of the troops stationed on the wall.
Starting at Steel Rig, walking 2 1/2 miles to the Roman fort of Housesteads, discover the wall’s milecastles and the wild geography of the frontier. Housesteads is the most complete of Roman forts in Britain and gives you a fantastic view of Roman life on Hadrian’s wall. During the Roman period, it was called Vercovicium and was fortified by Germanic troops from Belgium and the Netherlands.
After visiting the fort, enjoy local food for lunch at Twice Brewed Inn. After lunch the group proceed to Vindolanda, a Roman supply base, that has been extensively excavated, providing us with in-depth information on the people who lived on the wall. This tour is great for those who love history, wish to discover more about the Romans and enjoy country walks.
- Group tour lasts full day
- Professional, knowledgeable and experienced guide.
- Focus on the fort at the east end of the wall – Segedunum
- Entry to Segedunum Roman Fort and the Great North Museum
- The option of a Costumed guide in authentic roman clothing at the additional cost of £100.00 (payable locally)
Iles Tours know that the best trips live on in the memories that stay with you. That’s why they don’t do ordinary walking tours. Instead, you are taken on a journey into the fascinating stories that have shaped England’s unique history, people and culture for over 2,000 years – and are still unfolding today. You’ll have fun, learn new things and come away with a great story to tell. With walking tours across Newcastle, Durham, Northumberland and Tyneside, Iles Tours show you the North East England as you’ve never seen it before!
- Pre-booking is always required for this experience
- Mobile/cell phone is required to contact you on the day of your tour. Ensuring you are kept up to date of changes to meeting point or other information prior to tour.
- Please contact the vendor about any disabilities your group may have, to customise tours for wheelchair and vision impairment.
- Your guide will contact you with a text message prior to the tour to confirm your attendance
Address: Hadrian's Wall, Brampton CA8 7DD