Doomed Dead and Buried Ghost Tour in EdinburghFrom £15.00
14 day Refund guarantee
Voucher valid for 1 year
24 HR Support
Why We Love It
- Discover Edinburgh's gory history
- Access to areas no other tour company has
- 'Meet' Edinburgh's most famous figures
This 1 hour 45 minute Mercat Ghost Tour experience in Edinburgh explores the haunted Blair Street Underground Vaults, and includes access no other tour company can offer, before heading to the Canongate graveyard, where the spirits of the dead await.
It might be something to do with the change in temperature…. the perpetual darkness…. the ever smaller rooms, stretching beyond the weak beam of a torch! Whatever the reason, Blair Street Underground Vaults will unsettle you! Your expert Mercat guide will reveal the troubling tales on this evening walking tour.
- Cannibals. Body snatchers, Deals with the Devil… And that’s before you head underground.
- Torture… Murder… Hangings… And that’s before you get to the vaults.
Your tour will take you along dim streets to the Canongate graveyard and bring you to the resting place of the city’s most famous figures: Adam Smith, the father of economics; David Rizzio, confidant of Mary Queen of Scots; and James Douglas, 3rd Marquess of Queensberry – the infamous cannibal of the Canongate.
On this ghost tour you’ll enjoy plenty of tales of dastardly deeds and ghostly sightings in the atmospheric locations.
- Tour lasts 1 hour 45 minutes
- Explore the Blair Street Underground Vaults and the Canongate graveyard
- Hear of infamous murderers and cursed souls
- Delve into the terror of the city’s gruesome past
- Enjoy an Edinburgh ghost tour in a small group
Mercat was founded by a history teacher, but you can forget the classroom. At the centre of everything we do is the art of a good story well told.
History is a damn good story. What it needs is a damn good telling.
We choose our guides for their enthusiasm and skill – and we never ask them to read from a script. Each one brings their own energy to the story, whether they’re telling you about Adam Smith, the father of economics – or the city’s rioters, rebels, torturers and murderers.
The stories are all true – and you won’t find any artificial ‘jump scares’ or tricks on our tours. With Mercat, we’ll take you deeper into the past than a bus tour or guidebook ever could. In the hands of our guides, we bring the city’s stories alive in rich, engaging detail. Whether you choose one of our history or ghost tours, you’ll see a side to Scotland’s capital that most visitors miss.
We limit our group sizes to an absolute maximum 30 people – so you can always hear the guide, and you’re always involved. It’s one of the reasons our guide’s get such consistently good feedback – and why we’ve won so many awards.
- The first 5-star walking tour company.
- 91% on VisitScotland
- Voted one of Scotland’s top 11 attractions
It’s fair to say we know our stuff. We’re right at the centre of the Old Town’s restaurants, shops, hotels and bars – so a Mercat tour is the perfect way to explore another side of the city.
We run tours every day, in all weathers and we have guaranteed departures.
Let’s put it another way: when you book onto a Mercat tour, you’re going on a Mercat tour. No last minute cancellations. No minimum quotas.
- Excludes transport, food and drink
- Children’s tickets are not available for this tour as this is not child-friendly tour
- Tickets are limited. Book in advance to guarantee your place on your tour
- LGE voucher must be presented upon check-in and will be exchanged for your tour tickets. Failure to produce your LGE voucher may result in non-admission
- Any persons suspected to be under the influence of alcohol or illegal substances will be refused participation
- The meeting point for this tour is the Mercat Cross on The Royal Mile, EH1 1RF. Please arrive here 15 minutes before the start of your tour and check-in with a member of our on-street Visitor Services Team.
Dates & times
- Daily: 19:30, 20:30
- November – March: 19:30 daily
Address: Mercat Cross on The Royal Mile, EH1 1RF