BBQ Recipes and Tips
With all the lovely warm weather the BBQs have been out and we have some great BBQ recipes and top tips to give your BBQ meat, fish and veg a little extra oomph this summer. Be adventurous and add some herbs to the coals and really add some flavours to your BBQ recipes.
BBQ Tip: Ensure if using coals your BBQ are lit and burn until they are grey/white and there is a strong heat coming from them before you start cooking your food, at this point if required add in a choice of herbs and or seasoning onto the coals.
Quick and tasty BBQ Recipe – Sauce / Marinade – Suitable (Tofu, Fish, Chicken, Beef, Pork, Veg)
Prep time: 10 minutes
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 4 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp French mustard
- Half lime juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chilli (optional kick)
Add all the ingredients to a small dish, mix and leave to sit for 15 minutes. This bbq recipe can be used as a marinade or dipping sauce for your BBQ food.
Marinade for pork kebabs – Pork fillet / Green / Red Peppers / Onions / Pineapple Chunks/ Small Tomatoes optional
Prep time: 15 minutes
Marinade: 15-45 minutes
- Pineapple juice from tin of pineapple chunks
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 2 tbsp sunflower or vegetable oil
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tbsp muscovado (or dark) sugar
- Salt and pepper
- Chilli optional
Mix ingredients together, chop pork fillet into bite size chunks and mix with marinade for at least 3 hours – overnight preferably. Assemble kebabs and set aside until needed. Use the left over marinade to brush the kebabs whilst cooking to keep moist. Add small tomatoes to decorate.
Recipe from ESFW – Sticky Rotisserie Marinade – ( Recommended for chicken wings and vegetables)
Prep time: 15 minutes
Marinade: 1 hour before cooking
- 1 tsp Coriander seeds
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 2 tbsp pomegranate molasses
- Salt & freshly ground pepper
Combine all the ingredients together in a bowl and add in the vegetables or choice of meat that you are coating in the marinade and leave for 1 hour. Add the chicken, vegetables onto skewers and put on to ready to cook warmed and prepared BBQ.
Mild to Very Hot Flavouring your Coals –
Add some extra flavour to the coals, add some of your favourite herbs 5 minutes before you start cooking your meats, you can also buy some flavoured woods and coals that will go in your BBQ. Please note some types of wood, if treated can be poisonous and some herbs can turn meat inedible. Also check first before you cook on the BBQ.
Ideas for Cooking on the BBQ
- Mini corn on the cobs
- Fish kebabs in piri piri sauce
- When cooking flatbreads and pitta, cook on top of foil and just when you are ready to serve the food.
- Cooking fish in foil with a drizzle of flavoured olive oil and squeeze some fresh lime juice over (add some chilli )
- Adding cheese to the burger, place burger on top of tin foil and add the cheese, (saves all cheese falling into BBQ)
- Add some beer to the flames before you start cooking
- On gas BBQ spray with a flavoured oil